Trailer Brakes – What About Them?
Hitting the open road with your equipment trailer in tow is essential to your job, but a crucial element often gets overlooked: the brakes. These unsung heroes ensure your vehicle stops on a dime, even when loaded with a heavy payload. But with the myriad options of electric vs. override, disc vs. drum, navigating the world of trailer brakes can be confusing. This guide will equip you with everything you need to know about trailer brakes.
Electric vs. Override, Disc vs. Drum
There are two types of trailer brakes: electric and override. Electric brakes, powered by the tow vehicle’s electric system, offer smooth and responsive stopping. In contrast, override brakes, activated by the trailer’s inertia during braking, are more cost-effective and less prone to electrical issues.
Next up, is the brake system disc or drum? Disc brakes, like those on your car, boast superior stopping power and heat dissipation, making them ideal for heavy loads and frequent braking. Though less powerful, drum brakes are simpler and enclosed, protecting them from dust and debris.
Self-Adjusting Brakes for Effortless Towing
At Bigfoot, we understand the importance of worry-free towing. That’s why we proudly incorporate Dexter’s revolutionary self-adjusting drum brake system into all our trailers, from our 10K equipment trailer to the mighty 22K Beast Deckover. This innovative technology eliminates manual brake adjustments, ensuring optimal braking performance and safety for every haul.
Here’s how it works:
- Smart Sensors: Dexter’s brakes have intelligent sensors that monitor the wear of the brake lining.
- Automatic Adjustments: As the lining wears, the sensor triggers a self-adjusting mechanism that automatically repositions the brake shoes, maintaining optimal contact with the drum.
- Consistent Performance: Its continuous adjustment ensures optimum braking power throughout the life of the brake pads, eliminating the risk of uneven wear and sudden brake failure.
The Bigfoot Advantage:
- Effortless Towing: Say goodbye to crawling under your trailer with wrenches! Dexter’s self-adjusting brakes keep you on the road without having to fiddle with the brakes.
- Enhanced Safety: Consistent braking power means safer stops, giving you peace of mind on every haul.
- Reduced Maintenance: No more manual adjustments mean less downtime, reduced repair expenses, and increased productivity to reach your destination on time.
While self-adjusting brakes require less maintenance than other types, they are not zero maintenance. Remember to regularly inspect your brakes for wear and tear, regardless of the self-adjusting feature. Consult your trailer manual for recommended inspection intervals and procedures.
Where to Buy a Bigfoot Trailer
Bigfoot Trailers are the best equipment for transporting large payloads like ATVs, cars, and farm equipment. They are durable, versatile, and equipped with premium Dexter self-adjusting brakes on all four wheels, which saves time and money on every haul. So, when you need a reliable, affordable, and safe workhorse to carry your payloads, go Bigfoot!
Bigfoot Trailers delivers! As a factory-direct manufacturer, we service the entire Eastern United States with locations in Cape Coral, FL; Orlando, FL; Richmond, VA; Springfield, MA; and by appointment with retailers in Fort Myers and Marianna, FL. Call toll-free (866) 764-8878 or contact us online for a free quote.